The day is no more, the shadow is upon the earth (Song 74) by Rabindranath Tagore
The
day is no more, the shadow is upon the earth. It is time that I go to the
stream to fill my pitcher.
The
evening air is eager with the sad music of the water. Ah, it calls me out into
the dusk. In the lonely lane there is no passer by, the wind is up, the ripples
are rampant in the river.
I
know not if I shall come back home. I know not whom I shall chance to meet.
There at the fording in the little boat the unknown man plays upon his lute.
The
day is no more, the shadow is upon the earth. It is time that I go to the
stream to fill my pitcher.
The
poet's song expresses his deep longing to meet his Lord. He senses an inner
guide that helps him draw closer to the heart of this desire. As evening falls,
the world feels a bit sorrowful, and the air is filled with soft, melancholy
music. This feeling seems to gently call the poet to his beloved as the day
fades.
In
his imagination, the poet sees himself as a woman walking to the river to fill
her water pitcher. The path is empty, and the water’s murmur calls out to her.
She doesn’t know if she will return or whom she might meet. Suddenly, joyful
music from a stranger’s lute fills the air, lifting her spirits. The poet feels
this voice is his "Jeevan Devta," the Lord of his life, guiding him
forward with joy through every challenge.
Though
the evening is quiet and the path uncertain, the woman feels a strong pull to
continue her journey. Finally, she hears the sweet music of her Lord.
Just
as the woman is drawn to the river, the poet is drawn to the unknown, seeking
purpose in life. She is captivated by the river, the evening air, the ripples,
and the music of the flute. These images bring to mind the story of Krishna and
the Gopis, with the river, water pitcher, and flute hinting at this legendary
love. The quiet path and flowing water add a touch of romance, reflecting the
emotions in her heart and the beauty of the evening scene.

Comments