Prayer - for Restful Sleep

 

Prayer

Restful Sleep 

In the Christian faith, prayer is a form of communication with God. It is an act of worship and reverence, in which believers address God with humility, expressing their adoration, thanksgiving, confession, and requests. Christian prayer is based on the belief that God is a loving and merciful Father who desires to have a personal relationship with His children. Therefore, prayer is not only an expression of faith but also an opportunity to deepen one's relationship with God.

Christians believe that prayer can take many different forms, including spoken or written words, meditation, contemplation, and even silence. Christian prayer can be performed individually or in groups, and is often incorporated into worship services and religious ceremonies. Prayer in the Christian tradition often involves the use of the Lord's Prayer (also known as the Our Father), which is considered a model for how believers should pray.

 

Prayer for sound sleep

 

Dear Heavenly Father,

As I prepare to rest my head on my pillow tonight, I ask for Your divine presence to surround me. I pray that Your peace, which surpasses all understanding, will guard my heart and mind as I sleep. Please calm any anxieties or worries that may keep me awake, and replace them with the assurance of Your love and care.

Lord, I ask that You bless my mind and body with restful sleep, so that I may wake up refreshed and ready to face a new day. May Your angels watch over me and protect me from all harm, both physical and spiritual. And if I should wake up in the middle of the night, I pray that Your presence will comfort me and help me to return to peaceful slumber.

Thank You, Lord, for Your unfailing love and faithfulness. I trust in Your goodness and know that You are always with me, even as I sleep. In Jesus' name, I pray.

Amen.

 

There are many Biblical references about sleep. Here are a few examples:

 

Psalm 127:2 - "In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat— for he grants sleep to those he loves."

Proverbs 3:24 - "When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet."

Ecclesiastes 5:12 - "The sleep of a laborer is sweet, whether they eat little or much, but as for the rich, their abundance permits them no sleep."

Psalm 4:8 - "In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety."

Matthew 11:28-30 - "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

These verses speak to the importance of sleep as a gift from God, and the peace and rest that can be found in Him. They also encourage us to trust in God's provision and care, and to prioritize rest as part of a healthy lifestyle.

 

"Sleep"

by Samuel Taylor Coleridge

 

O soft embalmer of the still midnight,

Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,

Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,

Enshaded in forgetfulness divine:

O soothest Sleep! if so it please thee, close,

In midst of this thine hymn, my willing eyes,

Or wait the Amen, ere thy poppy throws

Around my bed its lulling charities.

Save me from curious conscience, that still hoards

Its strength for darkness, burrowing like the mole;

Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards,

And seal the hushed Casket of my Soul.

 

"The Pains of Sleep"

by Samuel Taylor Coleridge

In this poem, the speaker asks for restful sleep from God:

 

O Father! I have sinn'd in word, and deed,

And more than sinnd in thought, this painful night

My soul in fear and anguish hath no light

But, if I have not all thy wrath decreed,

Or yet deserved thy chastisement to be,

Then, Father, turn away thy wrath from me!

 

My weary spirit, overcome with pain

And agonies of inward chastisement,

Would fain find rest, if rest it may attain;

And if, through thine own gracious provident,

The mantle of thy peace be o'er me cast,

Then, Father, shall my soul be glad at last!

 

Grant me, O God, a sweet and restful sleep,

And drive away the demons of the night;

Oh, give me dreams of peace and visions bright,

And in thy care, my soul in safety keep.

Thus may I wake, refresh'd and strong to bear

The toils and trials of another day.