Christian Hymn - Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah

 

Christian Hymn

Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah 


Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah

Verse 1

Guide me O Thou great Jehovah,

Pilgrim through this barren land.

I am weak, but Thou art mighty;

Hold me with Thy powerful hand.

Bread of Heaven, Bread of Heaven,

Feed me till I want no more;

Feed me till I want no more.

 

Verse 2

Open now the crystal fountain,

Whence the healing stream doth flow;

Let the fire and cloudy pillar

Lead me all my journey through.

Strong Deliverer, strong Deliverer,

Be Thou still my Strength and Shield;

Be Thou still my Strength and Shield.

 

Verse 3

Lord, I trust Thy mighty power,

Wondrous are Thy works of might;

Thou hast saved and freed helpless sinners,

“It is finished” ends our night:

Thou didst conquer, Thou didst conquer,

Sin, and Satan and the grave,

Sin, and Satan and the grave.

 

Verse 4

When I tread the verge of Jordan,

Bid my anxious fears subside;

Death of deaths, and hell’s destruction,

Land me safe on Canaan’s side.

Songs of praises, songs of praises,

I will ever give to Thee;

I will ever give to Thee.

 

Verse 5

Thinking on my Glorious Savior,

Thinking on my heav’nly home,

Fills my soul with hungry longings:

Come, my Jesus, quickly come;

Vanity is all I see;

Lord, I long to be with Thee!

Lord, I long to be with Thee!

 

"Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah" is a hymn that expresses a deep sense of reliance on God's guidance and strength throughout life's journey. It was written by William Williams, a Welsh hymn writer, in the 18th century. The hymn draws inspiration from the biblical story of the Israelites' exodus from Egypt and their journey through the wilderness to the Promised Land.

 

Verse 1:

The first verse of the hymn acknowledges the frailty of the individual ("I am weak") and the power and strength of God ("Thou art mighty"). The singer sees themselves as a pilgrim traveling through a barren land, seeking divine guidance and protection. The reference to "Bread of Heaven" highlights the desire for spiritual sustenance and nourishment from God.

 

Verse 2:

In this verse, the hymn draws imagery from the Israelites' journey in the wilderness. The "crystal fountain" represents a source of spiritual refreshment and the "healing stream" symbolizes God's provision of grace and salvation. The "fire and cloudy pillar" alludes to the manifestations of God's presence that guided the Israelites during their journey, emphasizing the need for divine guidance throughout life's challenges.

 

Verse 3:

Here, the hymn reflects on God's power and mighty works, particularly in the salvation of sinners. The line "It is finished" refers to Jesus Christ's words on the cross, signifying the completion of his redemptive work. The verse emphasizes the triumph of Christ over sin, Satan, and death.

 

Verse 4:

The fourth verse alludes to the approaching moment of death, symbolized by crossing the Jordan River. The singer seeks assurance and comfort, asking God to alleviate their fears in the face of death. The references to "death of deaths" and "hell's destruction" convey the belief in God's power to overcome the ultimate challenges and lead the faithful to the heavenly Canaan, a metaphor for eternal life.

 

Verse 5:

The final verse expresses a longing for the glorious presence of Jesus and the heavenly home. It acknowledges the temporary and empty nature of earthly pursuits ("Vanity is all I see") and expresses a deep desire to be with the Lord.

Overall, "Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah" is a hymn that conveys a sense of reliance on God's guidance, strength, and salvation throughout life's journey, with an ultimate longing for the eternal presence of Jesus. It draws upon biblical imagery and reflects the deep faith and trust of the believer in God's provision and protection.